Pumpkin Bread Pudding
Clover Petaluma invited me to use some of their organic dairy products to make a family recipe. My Dad used to make us a bread and butter pudding growing up in Britain and I loved it. This is my American twist using some pumpkin puree and it's so delicious.
- 1 can Pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 vanilla pod / or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup / 250ml milk
- 1 1/3 cups / 300ml heavy cream
- 5 tbsp soft butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 8 - 10 slices of thick cut brioche bread
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Pumpkin Spice topping
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- 100g pecans chopped
- ¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice (or use mixed spice)
oven temp 180 c / 350F
Oven proof baking dish 10 x 6 inches / lightly buttered
- Start by making the custard:
- Heat the milk, cream and vanilla in a small sauce pan until just hot, not boiling!
- Whisk eggs and sugar together
- Take out the vanilla pod from the milk, Slice in half and scrape out the inside seeds using the back of a knife, pop into the milk and stir.
- Slowly pour the warm milk into the eggs stirring until smooth.
- Leave to one side.
- Butter both sides of the brioche
- Cut brioche slices into triangles
- Place a layer the brioche into the bottom of the dish,
- dollop the pumpkin puree around and sprinkle of lemon zest
- Then another layer of brioche on top
- Carefully pour the custard mixture over the top of the bread making sure it all get's covered.
- Push down with a spoon to make sure the custard is being soaked up.
- Mix the demerara sugar, chopped pecans and pumpkin spice together and sprinkle over the top of the bread pudding.
- Leave to sit for 30 minutes
- Place into preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until lightly golden on top and puffy.
- Serve straight away, piping hot with a drizzle of cream on top