Recipe Type: Drinks
Author: Caroline Artiss
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 20 mins
This recipe is from the brilliant Alton Brown. I tested it as I had never made an eggnog before and it was so perfect I wanted to share it all with you guys.
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 pint whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 ounces bourbon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg / extra for decorating
- 4 egg whites
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.
- Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved.
- Set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg.
- Bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon
- Pour into a medium mixing bowl
- Set in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture
I served this is in little glasses that I had for a punch bowl, and with a sprinkle of fresh nutmeg on top.