Black Forest Trifle
Black Forest Trifle
Recipe Type: Dessert
Author: Caroline Artiss
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 30 mins
My family has always liked a bit of a boozy trifle every Christmas. This year I thought I’d make something a bit different. This trifle is actually great for any dinner party any time of the year.
- 1 round of Chocolate sponge cake
- 1 x large jar (700g) pitted Sour cherries or morello cherries
- 3 tbsp cherry jam
- 3 – 4 tbsp Kirsch / cherry brandy
- 500ml Double cream whipped
- handful of fresh cherries for garnishing
- Chocolate Custard:
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- Drain the cherries leaving 2 – 3 tbsp of juice with them
- Add the kirsch and leave to soak for a couple of hours.
- Start by preparing the sponge base for the trifle.
- For the chocolate sponge I either whip up an easy chocolate sponge mix or buy one from the store.
- Slice the cake in half length ways
- Spread a layer of cherry jam on top of one of the sides then place the other side on top.
- Cut the cake into pieces and fit them into the bottom of your trifle dish
- Make sure you fill up the gaps as best as possible.
- Pour the cherries and kirsch mix over the top of the sponge
- Leave to soak while you make the custard.
- For the custard:
- Heat the milk and cream in a saucepan until just warm – not too hot.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, cocoa powder to a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Slowly add the warm milk and cream to the eggs whisking all the time
- NB - If you’re milk is too hot it will curdle the eggs!
- Once everything is mixed together pour back into the saucepan and heat slowly
- Stirring all the time until it becomes lovely and thick.
- NB - Do not let it boil as it will split, so keep the heat low to medium and never take your eyes or spoon off it!
- Once thick leave to cool
- Pour custard over the cherries
- Place bowl in fridge to set for 2-3 hours
- Once chilled spoon the whipped cream over the top
- Add a sprinkle of cocoa powder, fresh cherries to garnish