Recipe Type: Cakes & Baking
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
These are mouthfuls of coconut heaven, a perfect treat for anyone who is gluten free. Plus they are very quick and easy to make.
- 250g desiccated coconut – 2 ½ cups
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 5 egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 100g melted chocolate for dipping
- Preheat oven temperature 160c / 3250f
- Mix the coconut, ground almonds, sugar, vanilla and 2 of the egg whites in a large mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl whisk the 3 egg whites until they form stiff peaks
- Gently fold the stiff egg whites into the coconut mixture
- Place 1 tbsp mounds onto a lined baking sheet
- Continue until you have used up all the mixture, leaving a small gap between each one
- Place into your pre heated oven for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp on the outside.
- Leave to cool
- Once cool you can serve them straight up or melt dark chocolate to drizzle over the top, or to line the bottom of the macaroon.