Bolognese with Spaghetti
This is a real comforting autumn and winter dinner to make for the whole family. It's a very simple bolognese recipe and the cream and parsley go so well. Have the sauce with either spaghetti or a linguine pasta.
- 500g organic beef mince / ground beef
- 200g unsmoked pancetta or bacon
- 1 small brown onion finely chopped / 1cup
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large can tomatoes (approx 750g)
- 350 ml water (½ the can)
- pinch of salt / pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh single cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- Pasta - 100g per person - either spaghetti or linguine would go very well
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pan, add the onions and pancetta and cook gently for 5 minutes
- Add the beef and brown all over
- Add the red wine and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the plum tomatoes, bay leaves and water
- Leave to simmer with a lid on for 1 hour, check it every now and then, give it a stir
- Once the sauce has cooked and reduced and is lovely and thick, add the chopped parsley, cream, ¾ of the grated parmesan and stir together
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling water until just al dente. Check the cooking instructions on the packet for timings depending if you are using fresh or dried pasta.
- I like to toss the cooked pasta in the sauce and then serve it up with an extra sprinkle of grated cheese on top!