Pan seared scallops with crispy bacon and a chili maple ponzu sauce
Pan seared scallops with crispy bacon and a drizzle of chili maple ponzu sauce
Recipe Type: Fish & Seafood
Cuisine: asian fusion
I filmed a seafood cooking show with Bonefish Grill and Tastemade. I fished and cooked my way along the East Coast of America. This episode I caught fresh scallops in New Jersey.
- 8 large Fresh Scallops
- 2 rashers thick streaky smoked bacon
- knob of butter
- Ponzu Sauce:
- 1 big tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 whole lime juiced
- 1 whole orange juiced
- ½ red chilli finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce together in a small sauce pan,
- Bring to the boil reduce for 1-2 minutes so the sauce thickens.
- Leave to one side while you prep everything else.
- Cook bacon under a broiler or in a skillet pan until crispy.
- Place on some kitchen roll to drain excess fat. When cool cut into small chunks
- To cook the scallops, make sure they have all been cleaned.
- Heat a knob of butter, add the scallops and a pinch of salt and cook for 1 – 2 minutes each side depending on how thick they are.
- You can tell they are cooked when they have turned from opaque to white.
- It doesn't matter if they are a bit raw still as long as they are super fresh.
- To serve, optional -place a handful of the vegetables in the middle of the plate and
- arrange the scallops on top.
- Finish with a few pieces of crispy bacon and a drizzle of the sauce around the sides and over the top.