Kung Pao Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken
Recipe Type: Entree
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Total time: 20 mins
This recipe is in honor of Chinese New Year 2015 – Year of the Goat – That’s my year! Let’s hope it’s a good one, and I hope you enjoy this delicious Chinese recipe which is a very simple Kung Pao Chicken.
- 1 tbsp cornflour / corn starch
- 1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Chicken breasts cut into small chunks
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp ground nut or canola oil
- 3 spring onions washed and sliced
- 8 dried chillies de-seeded
- 1 big clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- ½ cup dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese black rice vinegar / or balsamic as a sub
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- Start by marinating your chicken
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl
- Add the chicken and stir, making sure it’s all coated.
- Leave to one side preferably for ½ hour while you prepare all your other ingredients.
- Make sure you have everything chopped and ready to cook before you start cooking this dish. Chop the spring onions, garlic and ginger, de seed to chillies.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a bowl for the sauce.
- Now you are ready to cook! Heat the oils in a wok, have the heat on medium, not too hot or it will burn.
- Add the chillies first for a few seconds, this helps flavor the oil
- Next add the chicken an stir fry until it has all turned white or browned on the outside
- Then add the garlic, ginger, ¾ of the spring onions, peanuts
- Stir fry for a minute and then add the sauce
- Keep stir frying until the chicken is cooked through, you’ll notice the sauce get’s thick
- If you want to add a little water about a tbsp to make it more runny you can
- Serve on a bed of steamed white rice.