Recipe Type: Entree
Author: Caroline Artiss
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
Total time: 3 hours 15 mins
I learned this recipe from an Irish friend in London, it’s like a potato hot pot – pure comfort food… easy and simple food, also nice washed down with a glass of Guinness.
- 1 kg Potatoes peeled
- 5 big pork sausages
- 8 rashers of thick cut bacon
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped (big handful)
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 large onions cut into thick rounds (1cm thick)
- 700ml ham stock / or chicken stock
- 1 large oven proof pan or dish with a lid.
- Peel and chop potatoes into quarters
- If the potatoes are very small you can just cut in half or leave whole
- NB -If they are too small they will not hold up in the oven for long!
- Brown the bacon and sausages, the sausages do not have to be completely cooked through
- But I like my bacon to be crispy so I do cook this all the way first
- Cut the bacon into chunks, and cut the sausages in half or into chunks also
- Take the oven proof dish and start to assemble all the ingredients in a couple of layers.
- Place a few slices of onion on the bottom, then a sprinkle of bacon pieces and sausage and half of the potatoes
- Give a good pinch of ground black pepper and chopped fresh parsley
- Finish layering the rest of the ingredients
- Pour the stock over the top, and cover the dish fairly tightly
- Now you can pop in the oven and go do something else for 2 and a half hours!
- Everything cooks together under a gently slow heat
- You can also make this simple yet incredibly tasty dish using a slow cooker / crock pot